06 September 2006

Going Back To Fogo...

Ah yes. As all things go in the PC universe, this afternoon, my APCD finds me at the hotel, and tells me he needs me to go to Fogo TOMORROW in order to check out the housing for the new PCVs that are coming on Sunday. Of course, Farrafa is actually in Mosteiros, but for some reason, it makes more sense to fly me to Sao Filipe, and have me run around going to three different parts of the island, checking out the housing situation. Of course, maybe this should have seriously been dealt with months ago, not less than a week before Swear-In. Of course, I am a PCV, and not PC staff, and this actually isn’t my business. Of course, I was hoping to see my host family at least once more, and take some photos with them, not call my host mom on the phone and say I suddenly have to leave. Of course, I was thinking it would be nice to be sociable with the soon-to-be-new PCVs and actually attend swear-in and the subsequent party.

But on the flip side, I am not that devastated to go. The new PSTD is driving me bonkers, and it has become more and more apparent as the days go by that she, for one reason or another, is not very welcoming to PCVs actually being at Training. But more importantly, I’m happy enough to help out the new PCVs. I know how much about a crazy stressful time this is for them right now. Worrying about housing is a particular burden, especially when you’re opening up a new site (which all four of them will be doing) since no one on the PC side of things has necessarily seen your finished house. My APCD had visited Fogo earlier during the summer, but not everything was set up with the houses back then, and the only way to really verify that the furniture is there, that the house has been fully constructed, is for someone to go now to check it out.

So, I’m off to Fogo and I hope to make it back to my own site sometime by the middle of next week. Blogging, I am sure, will resume then.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really had to laugh at this. How awesome is it that you are doing admin's job? That ROCKS. And the fact that Mike is actually ON Fogo....ahahahaha! Although I can see how it would be a blessing in disguise for you, I will still be smirking all day about this. Some things never change...

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home