08 August 2006

Briefly Back in Mosteiros

Yep, I am back in Mosteiros. I am still not done writing down in my journal all of the stuff that happened in Africa, so I am waiting to finish that and do some reflecting before I post here. I will be sure to get something up before I go back to Praia, which will basically be next Saturday. I’m scheduled to work for the last three weeks of Training, which should be fun. I was able to meet the Trainees at the airport when they first came in, and briefly stopped by the Training Center when I was back in Praia doing my mid-service medical. So I’ve met all of them, I think, but have only talked with a few. I think at least five are coming to Fogo, though none to Mosteiros, which makes me happy. There really is no reason to have another Peace Corps here in town, especially when they really need more help in fora sites. Happy for me, one of the girls in the group that I had been emailing with before their Staging, ended up with my host family. So my mom is super happy now that she has a male child and now a female one live with them.

Things in Mosteiros are like they always were, but since they are preparing for the municipal festa, they have actually repainted a lot of the town, took out the old cement benches and put in nicer new ones, put in some nice public lights and are preparing the stage, which is actually at the little square behind my house. If my landlord’s house was not blocking the way, I would have a clear view to the stage most likely, but having everything close to my house will be nice. As a sign as to how well I have not integrated, no one really seemed to miss me that much. Well, actually, two families said I was ingratu because I did not call them from Africa. Of course, I tried explaining to one family that not having access to a phone was tough, but they seemed not to care as much. But after a few minutes of me begging forgiveness, it was all good. The girl from the other family was just kind of cold when I visited, so I don’t think I will be going back, har har. But yeah, that is kind of the mentality here, so I will be sure to email Lady N next time when I am in Praia.

Huh, this time next year, I am basically going to be preparing to leave Cape Verde. Oh yeah, speaking of future plans, I did not pass the Foreign Service Written Exam, which is not that shocking, but I am still a bit disappointed. But I will try again next year, and we will see what happens. I really think that essay is what screwed me, but without being able to get a solid breakdown of the results, I am not sure what to focus on next year.

A friend who is COSing is actually going to be moving to Korea, and I’ve recently started toying around in my mind the idea of living in Taiwan or China for a year or few, to improve my language. I’ve already talked with the Chinese loja owner behind my apartment about helping me relearn pin-yin, which helps kids with their pronunciation of words. So, we will see. But trying to pick up more Chinese this year is for sure a serious goal of mine.

It helps that the third Chinese loja has opened up here. There are three Chinese people working it right now, though I think one of the ladies is going back to China, and maybe the guy is going back to Sao Filipe, leaving the third lady, who is the sister of the first one, I think. So, their loja has even more interesting things than the first two, but in the end, it is all the same old stuff.

Oh yeah, a Chinese restaurant opened up in Praia, right close to the Transit House. I have been there like three times already. It is ok, though in the end, I don’t think it will survive, because the food isn’t that great, and because the prices are expensive, it’s basically like eight bucks for some of their plates, so if you get an appetizer and a drink, that can be high as 1100$00, (like $11) which a lot of Cape Verdeans cannot afford. And though there is an expat population in Praia, I am not sure if it is enough to keep the place going. My plan is to frequent it a lot when I am in Praia, though it will eat up like half of my per diem for one meal, because it will probably be closed by the next time that I am in town.

Well, I meant only to write a short note, but I guess this has gone on for a bit. It will be a busy week and a half between me trying to get my life in order post-vacation, needing to prepare for three more weeks in Praia, and all the parties and activities going on between now and next Wednesday. Oh yes, I have updated my wish list of things that I would love for you to send, so check it out and surprise me! More on Africa later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home