14 July 2006

in africa

Sorry if this has wierd misspellings, the keyboard is French. We are
in Benin right now, got in last night, was not as bad as we though it
would be, especially compared to the chaos of Dakar. Dakar is so huge,
it is amazing. We did not do too much there since there is not too
much to see in the city, and we spent alot of time napping. We got
scammed on the taxi ride in, but found a very cheap hotel, which makes
up for it. We met the PC\Senegal CD, who made it sound like we would
get mugged at every street corner in Dakar, but it was not that bad. I
finally had some Chinese food, but it was not the best, so I continue
to search. The schwarma there is wonderful, though. We spent five
hours getting our Benin visa, and like three extra hours at the
airport because the Air Senegal lady said our flight was earlier, even
though in reality the flight time did not change. This trip has helped
me realize that I am good with overall planning, but I skip on a lot
of the details, which can suck. Benin seems much calmer, though we
have not had much time to see the city, since we are still trying to
figure out a crap load of logistics related to visas and whatnot. But
I am excited to have some time to look around this weekend, and
hopefully meet up with some PCVs next week, but because of logistics,
that is still all crazy up in the air. I though I would lose my Kriolu
these weeks, since I would only be speaking English with Some Girl,
but we decided to use Kriolu in public, so that is helping me retain
the language. It is hot, but not as bad as I though it would be. I am
wearing jeans, if you can believe it. More later.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you had a terrific birthday Jende Turtle. We miss you here. Alicia bought a new car, a blueish purple volkswagen beatle diseal turbo, manual. It's getting 44-45 miles per gallon. The gas prices here are fluctuating between 3.15-3.26 depending on where you go. definitly insane. Patrick proposed on our 3 year aniversary. I have this very pretty ring on my finger now. No wedding untill after gradumacation, which hopefully for me will be another year and a half, and for Pat, who knows when! Right now he's a Chemistry Major with a math, physics and environmental science minors. Crazy boy. Ma got a job at Micheals, which is a craft store. She's head of recieving. St. Micheal's hospital closed, which is were dad was. He quit two months before they closed, because he was basically told to stop worrying about patients needs and he's lucky he has a job. He's up at St. Mary's ozaukee now. Well I hope you are happy. And I hope you will be back soon. if you get a chance, shoot me an email. (keysbm01@uwgb.edu) Hope your vacation is going well. And We all love you a lot. ~Britt~

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking Crioulo in public while traveling is a great idea. Not only will it help you retain the language, but it'll keep people who are trying to sell you stuff off your backs when they can't figure out what language to harass you in!

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you crazy kid, that lingo will do you little good when you get back to the Jungles of Minnesota. Met with Katie, Tony, Danille and Sarah yesterday. Seems you have nice art here. And food. I will try not to ruin it before you get back. :-)

-Da Geek-

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home