18 December 2007

what a small, small world...

I know it has been eons since I was last in Cape Verde, but just for a sense of finality, I will post the book reviews of the last two books that I read while there.

All The King’s Men by Robert Penn Warren
Warren’s writing style was annoying, and really took a lot of pages to get into. But I kept with it, because I heard it was such a good book. And it was good, but probably could have been shorter if some of the descriptive language was cut out. I am not sure how much it helped out with creating atmosphere, since it just made me want to put the book down.

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
So now it’s a movie, eh? Though I don’t recall seeing anything by Sean Penn in a long time, I am sure that he will keep to the spirit of the book. I don’t know why, but I am sure that he will. The book itself was only moderately interesting. Or maybe because I was so anxious about leaving, I just needed something, anything, to distract me from the thought of leaving.

Great, now every book that I read while in country should be noted in this blog.

In other news, three recent events in my life have reminded me how small the world is (or how everything converges in Washington D.C.)

First, I was at a PC job fair looking around, and soon I found myself standing next to a RPCV from Benin who I had ran into when me and Some Girl were in Cotonou. She was interested in talking with us because she and a COSing friend of hers were planning to go to CV for holiday and we were able to fill them in on all to see and do. But yes, the Benin RPCV is now living here in D.C., so we’ll probably hang out some time next year and catch up.

Second, speaking of Some Girl, what are the chances that someone will move out here from the Midwest, and end up getting a studio apartment in same floor and building as my cousin, his wife and their kid? Well, it’s happened here so now it means more friends in D.C., and more reasons to make my way over to that tiny corner of northern Virginia.

Thirdly, because of my esteemed (hah hah) work position right now, I was invited to Reason magazine’s Very Special, Very Secular Christmas with Christopher Hitchens. The odd thing is that I went to the thing pretty sure I wouldn’t know anyone, and then left after reacquainting myself with this atheist who I used to do field organizing stuff with back in the day, and well as recognizing several people who I knew from my days on the libertarian fringe in D.C. (alright, I was actually just playing poker and going to parties at their house). But still. It just seems like a small world to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home