26 November 2007

Days Gone By in Mosteiros

Last week, I hung out with the Best Volunteer in Mosteiros, who lived in my fair village about 10 years ago. Though he’s not much older than me (he joined PC right out of university), his time in Mosteiros differed from mine because of what sounds like the absolute lack of things to do there. To think that I used to complain about the nothing that goes on in Igreja, but when I hear his stories…

But alas, he survived living in Mosteiros considering the road to Bila was not complete, there were hardly any fresh vegetables, no video rental place, no Internet access and hardly any deportees. There were hardly any Chinese there either, though he got mistaken for it a lot, which I can totally understand.

Thinking about his time there, I wonder how something as simple as the lack of Chinese people would have changed my experience. Would it have been better or worse for me if there were only Chinese people in Praia, and what people would see on the TV? Or would that have made me even weirder in the eyes of CVians?

He told me that it took him about a year back to readjust, and that it’s normal to feel weird for a while. To be honest, I don’t know how I feel. Even though I have been lazing around the States for like two months before I took up my current job, I still feel like I haven’t had much time to really sit and think. All the time I’ve been back, has been me trying to react and readapt to life here in the States, getting used to friends again, and processing my time over there. But not a lot of time or my brainpower has really been devoted to me in the present, me just sitting here.

So, I am hoping to go to Boston and Brockton in the spring. I hear now that Lady N has made her way to America. I’m interested to see that! The feeling I had before I left was that she was going to marry an Adventist on this side of the ocean, and then start living the high life over here. So we shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home