Here in Praia
Well, though some amazing act of Allah, my bags arrived yesterday morning at the PC office, just like TACV promised. This does not erase my bitter feelings toward them, but to be honest, I am amazed that they were able to send the correct bags to me.
Praia has been Praia. Yesterday I went out with SIDA Ka Ten Kura, and we had some breakfast at a restaurant by the old Transit House (how I miss thee) and then walked around, trying to find some stuff in the Sucupira. Of course, they had everything other than what I was looking for. Passed through a Chinese loja, and found a family that actually isn't from Wenzhou, which is like where all other Chinese people are from. So, that was surprising to learn. This is actually the loja who's last name is the same as mine (if the sign outside the store is to believed) and who's daughter I asked out on a date last summer. Of course, that was when I knew totally nothing about Chinese culture, and didn't realize that flat out asking some girl I had just met 15 minutes ago -- though this may work for CVians -- does not fly well in the motherland.
Otherwise, I feel bad about not visiting my host family, but the way that PC has things set up, there isn't a lot of time for me to run up to Sao Dao. My host mom should have given birth by now, so I feel really bad about not making the effort, but I dunno, I figure I have visited them many times in the past, and will have at least one more opportunity in the future, so I am not too worried. Besides, I have no gifts for them anyway.
I just took my Kriolu Language Proficiently Interview and I know for a physical fact that I did better than I did during my PST test, though my Kriolu still sucks. However, I feel I was graded too high during my PST LPI so am worried that though I have actually improved, it might be reflected in my test score. I also actually got away without having to take the Portuguese LPI since I just went in and told the tester that I didn't speak any Portuguese, since I haven't spoken Portuguese since the first day that I got to site.
And really, on a "political" level, the language of Cape Verde is Kriolu. Sure, there are differences between the north and the south, however, it is their language. I wish they would hurry up and formalize a written system so that it can be made an official language alongside Portuguese. So, really, I have no need or reason to speak Portuguese here, because the only time that Portuguese is spoken here is during formal meetings, in the classroom and with snooty Portuguese who come to live and work in CV because they cannot find jobs in their own country, and then refuse to learn the language.
But whatever, we will not go anymore into my feelings on the Portuguese, which are all pretty negative. Instead, I will focus on going back to my hotel to take a shower and then getting some brunch. Today it's off to Tarrafal for two more days of fun!
Praia has been Praia. Yesterday I went out with SIDA Ka Ten Kura, and we had some breakfast at a restaurant by the old Transit House (how I miss thee) and then walked around, trying to find some stuff in the Sucupira. Of course, they had everything other than what I was looking for. Passed through a Chinese loja, and found a family that actually isn't from Wenzhou, which is like where all other Chinese people are from. So, that was surprising to learn. This is actually the loja who's last name is the same as mine (if the sign outside the store is to believed) and who's daughter I asked out on a date last summer. Of course, that was when I knew totally nothing about Chinese culture, and didn't realize that flat out asking some girl I had just met 15 minutes ago -- though this may work for CVians -- does not fly well in the motherland.
Otherwise, I feel bad about not visiting my host family, but the way that PC has things set up, there isn't a lot of time for me to run up to Sao Dao. My host mom should have given birth by now, so I feel really bad about not making the effort, but I dunno, I figure I have visited them many times in the past, and will have at least one more opportunity in the future, so I am not too worried. Besides, I have no gifts for them anyway.
I just took my Kriolu Language Proficiently Interview and I know for a physical fact that I did better than I did during my PST test, though my Kriolu still sucks. However, I feel I was graded too high during my PST LPI so am worried that though I have actually improved, it might be reflected in my test score. I also actually got away without having to take the Portuguese LPI since I just went in and told the tester that I didn't speak any Portuguese, since I haven't spoken Portuguese since the first day that I got to site.
And really, on a "political" level, the language of Cape Verde is Kriolu. Sure, there are differences between the north and the south, however, it is their language. I wish they would hurry up and formalize a written system so that it can be made an official language alongside Portuguese. So, really, I have no need or reason to speak Portuguese here, because the only time that Portuguese is spoken here is during formal meetings, in the classroom and with snooty Portuguese who come to live and work in CV because they cannot find jobs in their own country, and then refuse to learn the language.
But whatever, we will not go anymore into my feelings on the Portuguese, which are all pretty negative. Instead, I will focus on going back to my hotel to take a shower and then getting some brunch. Today it's off to Tarrafal for two more days of fun!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home