Honored, I’m sure.
Today, passing through our small town was one of the original Chinese who first set up shop in Cape Verde. Way back in the day, this Chinaman’s uncle came to Cape Verde, sniffing around to see what was up. Since there were no railroads to be laid, nor any shirts that needed starching, he left for Spain, hoping for better luck. However, he had two of his nephew’s stick around and see what opportunities there were. So back in 1991 – when I was a mere 11 years old and not the worldly Volunteer I am today – this man I met arrived in Cape Verde, and has been here ever since.
But unlike the many other Chines here, he doesn’t just run lojas. No, he has stepped up, and actually has some (I would assume) franchised Western Unions/EVC, the latter being a legitimate place to change money. One of his younger brothers is the guy who recently opened the Chinese restaurant.
He’s like an “Adam” of the Chinese people here; pretty much every Chinese person will be able to trace a connection through family or friends, back to him. This guy, as I am told, is rich, rich, rich. Though he’ll never make it into any history book written in this country, his actions have played a big role in shaping this country into the way that it is today. Those eight billion lojas in Praia? Crappy Chinese food by the old Transit House? The few half Chinese, half Cape Verdean babies running around? The slight improvement of my Chinese language skills? The ready availability of cheap, knockoff goods, throughout the country? Me, gritting my teeth every time some Cape Verdean stares at me and hollers “Chines!” All, in a very roundabout way, due to him.
Book Reviews:
Radical Chic and Mau-Mauing the Flack Catchers by Tom Wolfe
Since I really know nothing substantial about the 60s, reading these pieces was interesting, but kind of contextless. So, a bunch of limousine liberals had some Black Panthers over, in cheap attempts to assuage their guilt. I guess I’m missing the relevance.
A Book of Common Prayer by Joan Didion
Strange. I don’t know if it was because the main character was nuts, or the weird writing style, but it was hard for me to get into, and I was happy when I finished with it. Lady with burdens in her life goes to small Latin American country to try to escape her pain.
The Dying Animal by Philip Roth
Old professor man sleeps with his younger students, always maintaining an emotional distance, until this one student comes around, who he becomes enraptured with. All three of these books, while not too life impacting, made for good fiction fodder to keep me busy these past few weeks.
But unlike the many other Chines here, he doesn’t just run lojas. No, he has stepped up, and actually has some (I would assume) franchised Western Unions/EVC, the latter being a legitimate place to change money. One of his younger brothers is the guy who recently opened the Chinese restaurant.
He’s like an “Adam” of the Chinese people here; pretty much every Chinese person will be able to trace a connection through family or friends, back to him. This guy, as I am told, is rich, rich, rich. Though he’ll never make it into any history book written in this country, his actions have played a big role in shaping this country into the way that it is today. Those eight billion lojas in Praia? Crappy Chinese food by the old Transit House? The few half Chinese, half Cape Verdean babies running around? The slight improvement of my Chinese language skills? The ready availability of cheap, knockoff goods, throughout the country? Me, gritting my teeth every time some Cape Verdean stares at me and hollers “Chines!” All, in a very roundabout way, due to him.
Book Reviews:
Radical Chic and Mau-Mauing the Flack Catchers by Tom Wolfe
Since I really know nothing substantial about the 60s, reading these pieces was interesting, but kind of contextless. So, a bunch of limousine liberals had some Black Panthers over, in cheap attempts to assuage their guilt. I guess I’m missing the relevance.
A Book of Common Prayer by Joan Didion
Strange. I don’t know if it was because the main character was nuts, or the weird writing style, but it was hard for me to get into, and I was happy when I finished with it. Lady with burdens in her life goes to small Latin American country to try to escape her pain.
The Dying Animal by Philip Roth
Old professor man sleeps with his younger students, always maintaining an emotional distance, until this one student comes around, who he becomes enraptured with. All three of these books, while not too life impacting, made for good fiction fodder to keep me busy these past few weeks.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home