16 September 2007

Initial Observations From The Homeland, Part III

- I have noticed a lot more homeless people on the street than before. I am not sure if it's because I am just noticing them more, or if it's actually because there are more homeless people now. This reminds me of when I was in Philly last week and there was this guy sitting in front of a building. He was asking for change, and I didn't want to give him any, but I had a small bottle of water that I hadn't opended and probably wasn't going to be drinking from, so I offered it to him. First he flinched, because he must have thought I was going to hit him with it. Then he actually refused the bottle of water! He pointed to his cup of pop! So, I know there are homeless people and people suffering here, but really, even in CV, if someone has a house and whatnot, if you gave them this water, they would never have refused it. How poor are you if you're actually refusing stuff?

- I had a little get together last night at Fox and Hounds for people. Some of my very closest friends showed up, which was nice, but not a lot of other people came. I think I choose a bad weekend, where there was a lot of other stuff going on. So, I had told people that I would be there till late, but no one was showing up, so I ended up bouncing a bit early, and then this morning I woke up to an email telling me that three friends had come, and where the heck was I? So, whoops, I really feel like an ass now. This is alongside being a bit sad that I didn't get to see a lot of people. Not that I won't see them, since I'm moving back here, but, I dunno, it would have been nice to have seen a big group of people all at once. But whatever.

- It also kinda sucked since the night before, I ended up drinking an entire bottle of long island iced tea mix, with the predictable results. So, this restricted me from drinking too much last night, since I was still feelin' a bit off from the night before.

- Going into PC, I quickly learned that what I expected has nothing to do with the reality of the situation on the ground. The same should apply for when I leave, but it seems that I have not learned this lesson. I finally got the will today to go buy a cell phone, and walked all the way from Adams Morgan to 12th and E, just to find out that the T Mobile store is closed. So, I am moving out to the 'burbs today, and that will make coming into the city harded, but I am hoping that my will does not fail me now, and lets me get this taken care of.

- I honestly think I just want to sit around and read. Well, actually, I do want to see friends, but it just seems so difficult to do anything.

- Yeah, now that I think about it, I am pretty sure I don't want to do anything that requires me to leave the house of the friend that I am staying at. I am not sure if this is a residual from CV, or just me trying to adjust to life here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home