Help Me!
Internet has been out most of the week. Meant to post it sooner. Love to hear your thoughts.
Answer me this: do you think I like it here in Cape Verde? I split a bottle of manicon this past weekend with friends, and had this interesting realization about my life. Now I am curious to know if what I say on the blog (and the way that it’s perceived) mirrors reality.
I’m really curious and would like to hear what you have to think. Shoot me an email or leave a comment! (First person to answer gets a prize. No, really, I’ll send you something.)
Answer me this: do you think I like it here in Cape Verde? I split a bottle of manicon this past weekend with friends, and had this interesting realization about my life. Now I am curious to know if what I say on the blog (and the way that it’s perceived) mirrors reality.
I’m really curious and would like to hear what you have to think. Shoot me an email or leave a comment! (First person to answer gets a prize. No, really, I’ll send you something.)


4 Comments:
In your personal letters to me you sound unhappy. On the blog, it sounds like life is a tad surreal since your location, friends and job have drastically change. You are trying to remain positive but I know you are bummed that you are working another desk job. That's the gist of it. I miss you!
I think this question takes too shallow a shot at your current situation. The impression I get is that your daily life is sometimes too strange and different to be relaid in either blog entries and letters, maybe even too strange for you to even grasp yourself while you're in it; that it's often difficult and frustrating and perhaps you don't "like" it a lot of the time. But really, taking all the factors into consideration, I think you do in fact like it. Moreover, I think you like the idea of what you're doing, and the direction in which you have chosen to take your life. You know that when you're not a PCV anymore, you will treasure the fact that you did this. It's easy to give into your cynic side and bitch about day-to-day things, but the subtext in your words is positive.
You seem to describe events here more than really plunge into the emotions you experience inside the event. In your letters you seem to be trying to stay very positive. I think your in the right place, and I don't want to see you leave. So its hard for me in light of that selfish feeling of being proud of you joining the P.C., and the experiences your enduring to really know how accuratly I'm reading into your emotional state.
Many of my h.s. friends that did exchanges began begging to come home and then came back distraught over leaving. I miss you much too.
Ok, I just spent the last few days reading (including rereading the parts I've already read) your blog. I wouldn’t say you don't like it there exactly, only that it really isn't what you expected or hoped for. I get the impression that you are having some really interesting experiences, but that you're frustrated with your job and not being able to work on the issues that are important to you. But I think that might be an issue wherever you end up working because you have a lot of ideals and a vision and reality doesn’t usually conform to them. You seem rather bored with your day-to-day life, but I think unfortunately, day-to-day life is rather mundane wherever you go, you’re just more aware of it when you have the expectation of having lots of new and interesting experiences. Life abroad just seems more exciting at first because the mundane of other people’s lives are new to you, but eventually the newness wears off. Then again, maybe I’m basing this more on my experiences abroad rather than yours.
Post a Comment
<< Home